"Our agro-food system knowingly shortens the lives of the poorest in our communities." -Dr. Peter Walker

9.30.2006

U.S. Food Policy: Who is Kevin J. Martin?

Parke Wilde, a professor in the FPAN program at my school has a great blog about U.S. Food Policy, which he updates regularly.
U.S. Food Policy: Who is Kevin J. Martin? links to a speech made by the chairman of the FCC about a new commission Sen Sam Brownback (R-KA?) and others have sponsored which will study the relationship between TV "food" advertising and childhood obesity in the U.S.

I was ecstatic upon hearing about this commission, and still think it has great potential, but my excitement was downgraded when I explored further, found Brownback's office's press statement which cites the Beverly LaHaye Institute as one of the task force members...this is the same Beverly LaHaye Institute which includes, among many other predominantly anti-feminist polemics, a report on its main page bashing the UN Millenium Development Goals as leftist propaganda, preferring that the problem of world poverty be solved through Christian charity...hmmm...

I know that many of the folks most interested in media regulation issues tend to be extreme conservatives, and I recognize that the task force does need to be bi-partisan, but somehow I don't think this group (and others who are also probalby going to be involved) could actually come down in any forceful way against corporate influence. I guess that's what happens when you get a task force sponsored by Republican senators disguised by its connections with Sesame Street...

No comments: