"Our agro-food system knowingly shortens the lives of the poorest in our communities." -Dr. Peter Walker

3.25.2009

Sheep to Sweater

I never post on this blog anymore, but maybe I will start again. I feel like lately I'm alone in my own head a lot more, especially with regard to thoughts about food, agriculture and more.

I need to go to sleep, but I'm all wound up with excitement over little things and they are too much for the sound bite of a status message. I want to email people and share with them, but I think I often do that too much, when really I just need to sit with things myself and be happy, or excited, or concerned. In the absence of in person conversations do emails suffice? I don't know.

First, I had a pretty marvelous evening yesterday- first hearing Michael Pollan speak at Tufts, in the company of my peers and colleagues from the Friedman School, followed by an Idan Raichel concert at the Berklee Performance Center.

Today, a lunchtime seminar where faculty and students interacted to dissect some of Pollan's arguments was broadcast in an interactive format online for alumni to watch and participate. This was amazing- watching, typing comments on my computer from work--and doing work-- all at the same time.

Long after I should have gone bed tonight, I found on Epicurious that the February 2009 issue of Bon Appetit has a recipe for kale chips. I feel vindicated in my obsession with spreading the gospel of kale chips over the past year or so.

Then I discovered free gardening workshops that BNAN is running at Northeastern this Saturday! as well as a whole day of amazing events going on around the area that Slow Food Boston posted on their blog, including a Soup Swap and....drumroll please....

a Sheep-to-Sweater Interpretative Trail!

I guess happiness from reveling in the small things is what it's all about. At least for now.

2 comments:

Sarah-the-Yente said...

Yay for you! What did Michael Pollan speak about?

Grace said...

I've been meaning to call you to catch up. Glad you are blogging though - I'm rediscovering the worthiness of it too.