settling for unfair food for a fair price? a tale of two grocery stores
I go to sleep tonight feeling very conflicted and pained about the meeting I just attended, about the recent lease to Whole Foods of the 47-year Jamaica Plain landmark Hi-Lo foods, a medium sized, affordably priced grocery store, which sold a variety of Latino and Caribbean foods. After news of the lease slowly leaked through Hi-Lo’s employees to community leaders and the press in the past few weeks, it became the talk of the neighborhood, and much of Boston; community organizations planned tonight’s meeting, which was an opportunity for JP residents to speak out about how they were feeling about the loss of Hi-Lo, and the impending presence of Whole Foods in the community.
The primary arguments many of us in the community seem to have with this change, is that Hi-Lo represented a bastion of the Latino cultural heritage of JP, as well as the best source of affordable food in the neighborhood, much of which was quite healthy. Combine that with the gentrification, corporatization, globalization and disrespect for labor symbolized by Whole Foods, and you start to get the picture of the anger and disillusionment present in the room this evening. Although I am quite devastated by Hi-Lo’s closing and not happy about it being replaced by Whole Foods, I found myself surprisingly sympathetic to Whole Foods after I heard the remarks tonight, or rather, sympathetic to the segment of the market which Whole Foods products serves. I recognize that in fact, Whole Foods’ preference for supposedly “healthier” products may have a net negative impact on the health of JP residents, since those former Hi-Lo shoppers whose price points for fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods are below the prices at Whole Foods, may end up buying less healthy food and more unhealthy food at other stores. For all the complaining about the quality of Hi-Lo’s produce done by people who could afford to shop elsewhere, the truth is that the store had a variety of fruits and vegetables at an affordable price, in a convenient environment when people were buying other foods there as well.
Yet when one of the meeting’s organizing groups talked about the price survey they had recently done comparing the prices of staple foods at Whole Foods and at Hi-Lo, I felt like I was being forced to dump half of my core values in support of the other half. For we know that in fact, the eggs sold at Whole Foods, are not the same eggs sold at Hi-Lo. While I am upset about the loss of this affordable, culturally diverse and healthy grocery option, I don’t think that the prices of Whole Foods products are actually the problem. As we know, the price of food in this country is way too cheap, and the reason why a growing percentage of our population cannot afford nutritious food (to which they may not have convenient access) is not actually that the food is to expensive, but rather is due to our nation’s rapidly increasing income inequality and lack of value on ensuring adequate incomes or a seamless safety net. So my true hope would be that everyone could afford the food at Whole Foods. Not because I want Whole Foods to expand or because I think they are a great company. To the contrary- one of the highlights of the evening was when a friend of mine spoke about her struggles as a Whole Foods employee in Madison, WI among a group from the only Whole Foods store to ever try to organize--an effort which was quashed by the store.
And although this fight seems to be primarily about what Whole Foods represents for the gentrification of the neighborhood and the lack of transparency or public process that has happened during this business transaction, the remarks nevertheless frequently demonized both the people who shop at Whole Foods and the products sold there, which has led to my fundamental tension with the arguments. Can we at least try to raise up the values of cultural heritage and tradition inherent in Hi-Lo's food without demonizing the values in many of Whole Foods' products?
The fact that we are taught by the mainstream media and our society that only the children of privilege can be conscious of the lives impacted by the foods they purchase is unacceptable. We must reunite consumers of all classes, races and regions to the movements for just food, and cease trying to create divisions based on our differences, whether they are based in place or class, race or type of community.
No comments:
Post a Comment