well, I haven't stopped by this blog in a few weeks, which have been quite busy.
I somehow have gotten involved with:
-producing the website for a student research conference being held at my school in March,
-work-study job for the New Entry Sustainable Farming Project, which is awesome
-writing article(s) for Balance, the Tufts Daily's wwhealth and nutrition supplement
-working on the 2007 Symposium of my school's lone student group, brilliantly titled "FOOD"
and a bunch of other stuff, which, when combined with my new addiction to watching Grey's Anatomy and ER and my hebrew school job, have left me running raggedly to finish my assignments on time.
Also, this past week I attended the American Public Health Association's Annual Meeting, which happened to be in Boston this year, at the mega-sized Boston Convention Center. This was a wondeful experience, which I hope to blog further about one day, but the two best sessions I went to were about a) linking Public Health to Agriculture Policy (which is basically what I want to do with the rest of my life, to a degree) and b) different methods for mapping food acces.
So when Parke Wilde, the now oft-cited-on-this-blog Prof. at my school, posted this on his blog, I've become very excited. I sat through multiple presentations on Tuesday about using GIS to map food access in different ways in difference parts of the U.S., two of which were focused on NYC. If you click on "Explore and Interactive Map," you can see a number of indeces of food access mapped on to economic and other data for all of the city, in an enticing visual format (aka a "map". The fact that this data is now publicly accessible from the New York City Coalition Against Hunger, is amazing, if it is actually utilized. I may try to write something for Gothamist or City Limits about it, because they have focused on food issues a bunch in the past. Maybe someone beat me to it.
"Our agro-food system knowingly shortens the lives of the poorest in our communities." -Dr. Peter Walker
11.11.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment