Gastronomic Gatherings
Several food-related items I intended to post in the past few months:
- A 12.27.06 NY Times article, You Are What You Eat: 2006 and the Politics of Food - New York Times, capitalized on the meeting of the minds: Marion Nestle, Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser spoke in various forms around the NY metropolitan area last fall. The article catalogued some of the ways that food policy became mainstream news, including the e. coli outbreak, talk about obesity, Omnivore's Dilemma, The Nation food issue, Wal-Mart going organic and the trans-fat ban, that made 2006 as "the year everyone discovered that food is about politics and people can do something about it,” according to Nestle.
If there was a need for validation of career choice, I think it arrived.
Also, a shameless plug on the theme of 2006 food news: I don't think I ever mentioned my piece on the e. coli epidemic in Balance, the Tufts Daily's Nutrition and Health Supplement.
- Another 2006 morsel: Interview of Eric Schlosser in the Guardian. I still haven't seen Fast Food Nation, but also haven't met anyone who has.
No comments:
Post a Comment