"Our agro-food system knowingly shortens the lives of the poorest in our communities." -Dr. Peter Walker

5.02.2007

Eastern Market Destroyed, DDR at School

How sad!
Fires Ravage Eastern Market, Georgetown Library in 12 Hours

-I was just getting all excited about working near Eastern Market this summer. I know it's not quite the same as a FM, but for those of us who live in cities that are only pursuing the idea of a year-round public market, we are jealous of such places. Let the rebuilding begin!

In other news, NYTimes reports that DDR is joining the fight against childhood obesity:

“I like that you get to listen to music and you don’t have to be on a team or go anywhere special to play,” Anna said after their song. “If you do baseball or basketball, people get really competitive about it.”

Mikayla chimed in, “And you don’t have to be good at it to get a good workout.”

By next year, Dance Dance Revolution will be installed in all of West Virginia's public schools.

Man, I would have loved DDR when I was in school, and PE was most certainly always the bane of my existence, from elementary through high school. When we talk about encouraging physical activity among kids, I always have to think extra hard, because it's unclear to me how to do so without persisting with the negative gym associations. I know how much I hated it, and I wasn't even overweight. We have to foster the culture of wanting to be physically active.