"Our agro-food system knowingly shortens the lives of the poorest in our communities." -Dr. Peter Walker

8.05.2007

Sicko Leads to Action

I just returned from Michael Moore's new film "Sicko," which I did like as I usually like his films, though it was not perfect. Obviously there are some issues which I think he oversimplifies- the quality of complex surgeries and experimental treatments, is of course not as strong in his "model" nations--Canada, U.K, France and Cuba-- as it is in the United States. And while the Cuban medical model is lauded by many around the world for being extremeley efficient in its focus on prevention and its strength in the face of lack of technological resources, there are definitely problems with the system owing to a lack of resources and to the lack of esteem and remuneration afforded to Cuban doctors-- such that taxi driver is a more coveted profession than doctor.

However, I am really proud that he has selected a concrete issue to target his energies over the past few years, creating a masterpiece of investigative journalism. Where his 2 previous films opened eyes, their value as organizing tools was overshadowed by the criticism they attracted. Sicko, however, I think goes further in helping a specific policy agenda, that is at least more winnable than the vague links between GWBush and the Saudis that I recall as prominent in Fahrenheit 911. There is no way anyone can spin any part of Sicko as a mere conspiracy theory. Can you think of any single fact or scene that could be?

I just visited Moore's website, and have been prompted to call my congressman's office this week and ask his healthcare staffer [**Important Fact #1 that I learned this summer: You can call the office and ask who works on a particular issue. Then call back and ask to speak with that person and it will be much more effective in getting the message across than just speaking to whoever answers the phone. You can also email that person directly, for the house it's first.last@mail.house.gov.] for him to co-sponsor HR 676, which is Rep. John Conyers' (D-MI) National Healthcare legislation.

No comments: