adventures in food
I think that my blog has lost whatever small bit of momentum it once had, because I'm really not doing any great work, or even good work, or even mediocre work really. While I've been keeping the sadness and uselessness that comes with that at bay fairly succesfully in my actual life, it seems presumptous and silly to continue to presume in my online life that the title of this blog is remotely relevant. i mean i want to be doing the great work, but this seems like more than a hiatus. i mean i just don't know where to begin, and i seem to be falling to the trap of not doing it at all.
Simultaneously, I've been getting really increasingly sucked in to all this sustainable food policy business and it seems kind of silly to me that I presume I can make a career of it, or have some impact on other people's foodways, when it's pretty much an uphill struggle for myself even.
I just ofund this amazing report put out by the Food Trust and Philadelphia Health Management Corporation out of Philly that talks about the relationship between acces to supermarkets and health. I've been thinking a lot about this lately and how I've generally been interested in food market, even before I foudn this whole area of sustianable food etc. Some really interesting research I would like to do at some point (maybe a masters thesis if i go to tufts?) would be to study different immigrant/ethnic groups and their food markets and how that relates to their health. My friend and I were discussing this the other day- why it seems like Asian immigrant groups have been so much more successful at integrating an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables into their ethnic markets. Any ideas?
So I may start another blog based on my attempts at integrating more sustainability/health/local-ness into my own diet......
No comments:
Post a Comment