the life before suicide
I was talking to my parents the other day about the movie Paradise Now, which I saw a number of weeks ago, shortly after it came out in theaters (maybe only in new york- i don't know). She seemed a bit shocked or dismayed that I had seen it and was asking me what it was about, even though she seemingly already had some idea, and right before she asked if it portrayed Israel in a negative light (of course she would ask that), she said "So, it's a day in the life of a suicide bomber?"
I responded "not exactly," and tried explaining the plot to her in brief, but later on realized just how much of an oxymoronic paradox her question in fact was, in light of the movie. Because really, there's no such thing as the life of a suicide bomber. Or at least that's what the movie makes you believe. Only the death of a suicide bomber. One doesn't become a suicide bomber until that particular act, at which point (s)he is no longer alive. So that's sort of an interesting idea, isn't it? That we jujdge and come to know these individuals purely based on the circumstances of their death, with little regard for how they lived their lives or anything occurred previous to that point in time.
No comments:
Post a Comment